Choosing which cellular service provider to hitch your wagon to can seem like a daunting guessing game. Many of us have had the same network provider for years, but when it comes to cell service, reliability, and price it’s hard to know if you’re getting the biggest bang for your buck.
Welcome back to 5G Guys! In today’s episode, we tackle our most asked question, and that is which cell carrier is actually the best? This may not be the answer you want, but it’s important to know that finding the best cell service for you is all dependent on what you are going to use it for. Of course, there are always going to be personal preferences, you’ll hear which providers we use and why. As well as the questions we typically ask when helping someone find the right provider for their needs.
Listen in as we talk about the many factors that go into your choice, like who works best in rural areas, the better choice for international travel, and even if they’re actually supported in your city. If you’ve been having trouble with one of the big three (AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile), there might be a better option for you in a smaller carrier. You’ll get hands-on resources that will help you get a frame of reference for your city and cut through all the predictions to give you real data on which service works where. With these easy-to-follow criteria, we have no doubt that you’ll be able to make the most informed decision for your service.
To find the resources we talked about in this episode, check out the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- Finding a service that works in your neighborhood
- The factors that go into the right service
- How you can get a frame of reference for your city
- Real data vs. prediction maps
- The best chance at service in rural areas
- Which service works best for international roaming
- T-Mobile absorbing Sprint
- Understanding the network that works best for you
- Why you shouldn’t rule out smaller carriers right away
- MVNO, what it is, and how it can help you
- How far wireless networks have come
- And much more!
Sources to research before you buy:
- FCC: Mobile LTE Coverage Map
- Maps are predictions submitted by the carriers
- Basically same as what they advertise, but in one place
- 4G exclusive
- OpenSignal: Mobile Analytics & Insights | Opensignal
- Based on actual phone performance collected by crowdsourced data of OpenSignal app users
- Root Metrics: RootMetrics
- Based on performing repeated and consistent network tests with test equipment. Major markets are tested every 6 months
- Also uses crowdsourced results
- Website: https://5gguys.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/5Gguys
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12515882
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/5gGuys
Submit Your Ideas or Feedback:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:55 – What we cover today
- 1:17 – Tackling our most asked question
- 4:52 – The criteria to keep in mind when looking at service
- 9:43 – Root metrics and how they help you
- 15:15 – The issues wireless will continue to have
- 19:26 – How smaller carriers help the big 3
- 23:46 – Closing thoughts