If you’ve been listening to us for a while, you’ve heard us cover a number of topics from cell towers and IoT, to things like Big Brother, cybersecurity, and even wireless charging. In today’s episode, we take a step off our world and into the future of satellite telecommunications.
Welcome back to the 5G Guys podcast! If you’re new here, don’t worry, we specialize in making complicated things understandable. Join us as we dive into the history of satellite phone service and how it differs from your everyday cellular. You’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at how satellites work, the obstacles every satellite company has to deal with, and all the things in between.
Listen in as we talk about the future of satellites and what that looks like for us. In the U.S. alone, there are still an estimated 22 million homes that have no option for broadband. This has led to initiatives from the U.S. government to increase the coverage of wireless broadband in partnership with companies like Elon Musk’s Starlink. (You may have heard of it or even seen the newest satellites moving through the night sky.)
Elon isn’t the only one who’s stepped into the satellite game, we talk about future plans from Amazon, China, and other satellite companies that are all racing to stake out their own little place in space. As well as the folks behind the scenes working hard to make sure our future sky isn’t filled with blinking satellites.
It’s amazing to see what technologies are coming out to keep us more connected. If you enjoyed this episode, we encourage you to leave a review or contact us directly. You can find our information in the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- The difference between satellite and cellular
- The first-ever satellite phone call
- Common difficulties with satellite communication
- What makes Starlink different from other satellites
- The “3G” phase of satellite
- How satellite helps the American government
- The need for broadband across the country
- 3D printing satellites in space
- What the future of satellite technology looks like
- Amazon’s plans for a satellite network
- Behind the scenes of improving satellite technology
- And Much More!
- Starlink: https://www.starlink.com/satellites
- Article: Amazon Plans To Launch Its First Internet Satellite
- Article: China’s On A Mission To Dominate Space Internet
- Article: Overview of concerns about noise/RF pollution by satellites
- Website: Compare the speed performance of various satellite Internet providers
- Website: www.vertex-us.com
Connect with us:
- Website: https://5gguys.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/5Gguys
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12515882
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/5gGuys
Submit Your Ideas or Feedback:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 – What we cover today
- 0:58 – Conversation starts
- 1:52 – The dish on satellite
- 3:56 – The difference between satellite and cellular
- 9:27 – A look into satellite companies
- 11:30 – What makes Starlink different
- 16:39 – How satellites help the economy
- 20:06 – Other networks launching now
- 22:11 – Things to keep in mind
- 28:18 – Closing thoughts