Hey there 5G enthusiasts! It’s time for another episode of the 5G guys podcast, where we dive deep into the world of 5G and all things related.
Today, we are continuing our behind-the-scenes look at the work that goes into building and maintaining a cell site. This is the second of a multi-episode series called “The Life Cycle of a Cell Site!” If you missed part one, check out the last episode to catch up on what you missed.
As a construction management expert thanks to Vertex Innovations, Wayne is a wealth of knowledge and experience in the construction industry. You might not know this, but Wayne is a tradesperson who loves working with his hands and seeing something come from nothing to something. This process is exactly what is happening at cell sites under construction all around the world.
In this episode, Dan asks Wayne about the construction phase of building cell sites. Hit play to hear us take you through the different types of trades involved in building a cell site, from civil work to concrete crews to tower construction and so much more.
We will also cover the various types of cell sites, including raw land sites, tower sites, and rooftops along with details about the different types of towers we need to stay connected with our loved ones and society.
Together it makes an exciting journey to see the construction of a cell site and the various trades and processes involved. But the story doesn’t end there. Join us for our next episode, Part 3, where we dive into the post-construction phase and see what happens after a cell tower is built.
So sit back, relax, and join us as we explore the world of cell site construction in this episode of the 5G guys podcast!
More Of What’s Inside:
- The beginning phases of cell construction
- Why foundation is more important than you think
- Jobs that always have availability in the industry
- How towers are built and what you need to know
- How high tower builders may climb in the air
- How and why every cell tower is unique
- The importance of power and utility
- Common misconceptions people have about cell sites and towers
- A basic understanding of antennas
- What does “room ready” means to the crew
- The safety protocol that’s required for tower climbers
- And so much more!
Links For This Episode:
- NATE (The Communications Infrastructure Contractors Association): NATE: The Communications Infrastructure Contractors Association | Home Page
- ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standards for communications tower workers: Two New American National Standards to Improve Communications Structures.
- TIA (Telecommunications Industry Association): Telecommunications Industry Association | TIAonline.org | Home
- ASSP (American Society of Safety Professionals): ASSP – American Society of Safety Professionals | ASSP
Connect With Us:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/5Gguys
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12515882
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/5gGuys
Submit Your Ideas or Feedback:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 A look into today’s episodes
- 1:00 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 2:03 Why construction is near and dear to Wayne’s hear
- 3:19 The types of trades highlighted at a cell site
- 7:25 Complex variables that go into the construction process
- 9:00 The basics of building a tower
- 12:49 How much power every cell site uses
- 15:53 Why is fiber critical in 2023 and beyond
- 19:45 The manpower it takes to build a tower
- 26:45 Speciality skills represented in cell construction
- 32:04 The active roll N.A.T.E plays in the wireless industry
- 37:00 A quote Wayne things everyone needs to hear