Welcome to another episode of The 5G Guys! Dan here again, on the last two shows I have been flying solo as my co-host Wayne continues to travel the world. While he is jet-setting, we thought it would be the perfect time to get the latest insight into how real the 5G interference issue is for the US aviation industry. This is not a topic I would dare tackle alone. Rather, I thought we could all go straight to the source himself.
In today’s episode, I am joined by the one and only Vance Hilderman. Vance is the CEO of Afuzion and incorporated one of the world’s largest aviation and safety-critical services companies. They provide advanced consulting services in software and systems development with a primary focus on safety, critical aviation, automotive systems, and more! Vance truly is the expert witness for aviation and he has the best-selling book to prove it. Hit play to get caught up to speed on everything 5G Interference!
If this is your first time listening to the show, let me catch you up to speed.
Back on episode 17:
We discussed how the FAA issued a Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin warned about potential risks to aviators in the US using older radio altimeter technology that new 5G deployments in a new frequency band (called C Band) could cause interference. In response, AT&T and Verizon announced they would be delaying their start to deploying 5G in their newly acquired C Band spectrum one month from Dec 5th, 2021 to Jan 5th, 2022. Clearly, that didn’t happen since it’s almost the Summertime of 2022.
Fast forward to episode 22:
22. FLASHPOD: Updates on the 5G standoff between AT&T/Verizon and US aviation industry
We got an update on the latest situation covered, the history that led up to the current situation, FCC, telecom, airline input into issues, and more.
We’ve offered the perspective from our side in the telecom industry, so now let’s turn the tables and get the perspective from the avionics side. During this conversation, Vance shares his awesome perspective on what’s going on with the 5G situation and how a solution could be close. Hear how different industries and governments around the world are coming together to see this technology succeed. You’ll also hear Vance’s perspective on how the aviation industry is booming and how we could start seeing flying cars, electric planes and so much more sooner than we think.
I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did. If you want to be a guest on our show, reach out to us as Vance did! Find all the links below. Looking forward to hearing from you!
Lingo You Need For This Episode:
- Spectrum – The electromagnetic spectrum ranging from 1Hz to 3000Hz
- C-band – The band of spectrum 5G was going to roll out on. Very close to the band of spectrum airplanes use for radio altimeters.
- FCC – Federal Communication Commission
- FAA – Federal Aviation Administration
Connect with Vance:
- Website: https://afuzion.com/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/afuzion/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/afuzion_vance
Connect With Us:
- Website: www.vertex-us.com
- Website: https://5gguys.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/5Gguys
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/12515882
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/5gGuys
Submit Your Ideas or Feedback:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 1:17 Get to know Vance
- 3:12 A look into the different frequency bands
- 10:44 The correlation between 5G and aviation navigation
- 14:30 The aviation industry’s resolution to the 5G issue
- 17:20 How people are coming together and good things are happening
- 19:31 The result of the FAA and the FCC not getting along
- 23:48 Can a flying car really happen?
- 27:33 How to be a guest on the 5G Guys Podcast