Welcome back to the 5G Guys Podcast! Today, we are diving into the exciting world of cellular networks and providing a behind-the-scenes look at the work that goes into building and maintaining them. This is the first of a multi-episode series called “The Life Cycle of a Cell Site!”
In our digital world, with the high demand for faster and more reliable data speeds, the need for strong and efficient cellular networks are becoming increasingly important. In this new series, we will lay the foundation you need to understand the process and all the moving parts it takes to make it all happen.
If you have been listening for a while, you know that Dan is a Radio Frequency Engineer! We decided this would be the best place to start our deep dive on this topic so Wayne will be interviewing Dan about the important role that radio frequency engineering plays in the design of a cell site, the various aspects of network design, including site selection, frequency planning, and more.
We’ll also be discussing the true definition of a cell site, the four areas of design/engineering that build cell sites, the most pivotal part of every cell site project, and the headaches that can come with zoning. By the end of the show, you’ll understand why every site is unique and how a project requires a customized approach.
You’ll also understand the importance of teamwork and how a group of experts with a variety of skills and backgrounds are working together to keep us all connected on every site. In part two of this series, we will take a look at the Construction aspect of building Cell Sites and the physical materials that go into making these networks happen.
If you know someone who will enjoy this conversation or would like learn more about Cell Sites, we ask that you share this episode with them to help spread the word! Plus, if you have any questions or topics you would like us to cover on the show, reach out to us via the links below.
More Of What’s Inside:
- Site Acquisition and how it works
- Who the main stakeholders are
- Small versus big Cell Sites
- Little known facts about Cell Sites
- How and why rooftops are a good place for antennas
- The 4 areas of design/engineering that build Cell Sites
- The interactive role of Radio Frequency Engineering
- The most pivotal part of every Cell Site project
- Zoning and permitting and what it takes to find good land
- The special role of transport engineers
- The complexities that could come on a project
- How often do networks get rebuilt?
- And so much more!
Connect With Us:
Submit Your Ideas or Feedback:
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 A sneak peek of today’s conversation
- 1:05 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 3:00 The true definition of a Cell Site
- 4:40 The 4 areas of design/engineering that builds Cell Sites
- 6:57 The interactive role of Radio Frequency Engineering
- 13:33 The most pivotal part of every Cell Site project
- 16:21 Headaches that come with zoning
- 22:00 The special role of transport engineers
- 28:16 What we will be covering on our construction episode
- 29:57 Every site is different and unique
- 31:32 How often do networks get rebuilt?